Pratt & Whitney Canada was founded by James Young in 1928 with a mandate to repair and overhaul Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial piston engines. The company began developing the PT6 engine, Canada's first small turbine engine, in the late 1950s.
From the early 1930s, when the company was a small sales and service organization serving bush flying operations, through the hectic years of World War II, the company played an important role assembling and servicing engines for the war effort.
About a decade later, P&WC became an engine manufacturer in its own right. The PT6 engine, developed and launched in the early 1960s, brought P&WC into the gas turbine era. This radical new design changed the face of general aviation and made the company the world's best-known maker of small gas turbine engines. It also led the way to the development of new generation and market leading turboprop, turboshaft and turbofan engines that have rapidly positioned P&WC as a major player in the global aerospace industry.
Today, the company is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines powering business, general aviation and regional aircraft, and helicopters.
See the company's other historical milestones.